Mexadama vs Akadama (The dark horse vs The gold standard)

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Following up on my original "Mexadama" thread: As part of an experiment on substrates, I potted several Hongkong kumquat, Fortunella hindsii, in a variety of substrate mixtures; Haydite/Pine Bark, Haydite/Zeolite, Akadama/Pumice/Lava, Zeolite/Pumice/Lava, Mexadama/Pumice/Lava, straight Akadama, straight Zeolite, and straight Mexadama.

Mexadama is what I'm calling crushed Mexican pottery. My chiminea fell over in a storm and the shards made me think of Akadama. It's not as soft as Akadama, but it can still be crushed between my thumb and forefinger. I have no idea what the cation exchange capacity is or if it even has a measurable CEC. But hey, it's a fired clay, like Haydite, so I gave it a try. You can see the crushing process in the original thread.

There are measurable differences between the plant populations, but my dogs chased a squirrel or two across the benches and mostly ruined the experiment. So much for this year's work. I'll try again in the Spring. These four pots were not affected by the stampede. While the Mexadama was a non-serious entry the plants in this group are some of the very best. They rival the Akadama groups.

So get to smashing, people. It'll take you 8 to 10 hours of work to get about 7 gallons of substrate, but it's free if someone is throwing out Mexican pottery. I put a request on Reddit and someone put their chiminea shards in a bag for me to pick up. Now I need to find an economical way to crush it to a useable size.

I sell Haydite, lava, and pumice, but I don't sell Mexadama. A reasonable rate for my labor is $50/hour. If 10-hours of work get's me a little more than 7-gallons of substrate, that's $500 per cubic foot. If anyone wants to buy it at $500/cf, let me know; happy to sell it to you. I'll knock $500 off a cubic yard making it $13,000 and I'll drop it off at your door anywhere in the lower 48. First I'll have to find 26 broken chiminea, so be patient. You'll recognize me by my enormous left arm. That hammer gets heavy.

Straight Akadama on the left, straight Mexadama on the right.
IMG_0466.jpg

Here's the bag of Mexican pottery someone let me have! More free bonsai soil!
IMG_0326.JPEG

The title of this topic got me thinking about an old topic about Sakadama and I thought here we go again.

I'm not interested in "alternative" soils or substrates.

The title of this topic got me thinking about an old topic about Sakadama and I thought here we go again.

Pretty sure there is an "unsubscribe" button for threads somewhere. Glad to know you aren't interested.

Interesting take on the crushed pottery. In South America and some parts of Spain red brick is being used. It is very similar to turface, but it crushes as your Mexican pottery. One thing I suggested to a person that was planning on doing it was to get a cheap concrete mixer and tumble the pieces for a while, that way they will lose the sharp edges (main issue with turface) and round over slightly, similar to Monto Clay sold by Bonsai Jack, which is essentially larger turface with a rounded profile.

These posts fascinate me. People with zero interest in a topic with absolutely nothing to contribute take time out of their busy schedules and put forth the effort to type out and submit "Not interested". It's the conversational equivalent of mistaking this discussion thread for a bathroom stall. Just as you are "not interested" in my contribution to the forums, I'm not interested in the "contribution" you left over there in the corner of the room.

Just the same...

Welcome to this discussion on "alternative" soils or substrates! Because of your reply to this thread, you'll be receiving periodic updates should this thread continue, as I hope it will. Sadly, I won't be able to personally respond to any of your posts (here or elsewhere) as I will be adding you to my "Ignore" list. It'll better help me to overlook any more of your "contributions". Please do me the same favor.

Last edited:
Interesting take on the crushed pottery. In South America and some parts of Spain red brick is being used. It is very similar to turface, but it crushes as your Mexican pottery. One thing I suggested to a person that was planning on doing it was to get a cheap concrete mixer and tumble the pieces for a while, that way they will lose the sharp edges (main issue with turface) and round over slightly, similar to Monto Clay sold by Bonsai Jack, which is essentially larger turface with a rounded profile.

Please stop posting new toys for me to purchase. I'm running out of room! 😁

My initial preference is for unglazed Mexican pottery, but only for the aesthetics. Your comment about sharp edges would certainly come into play with glazed pottery. The glazes might be fired high enough to vitrify. If I get a chance to crush glazed Mexican pottery, I'll see how that plays out.

I can't tell how serious you are about this experiment, but I am fascinated none the less 😂

Is "Mexican pottery" different from terra cotta?

I wasn't serious about it until I saw the results. If anyone wants to do bonsai on the ultra-cheap, using crushed Mexican pottery might be a useful alternative. It holds water, it has a pleasant color, it's soft enough for roots to grow and crush it out of the way. I would love nothing more than to put a tree in a national show with Mexadama filling the pot.

Mexican pottery is very different from terra cotta. If you look at the second photo in my post, you can see how thick it is. It can't be much thinner than 3/4" (19mm) or it won't support itself. Terra cotta can be made much thinner. Terra cotta is harder and sharper when it breaks.

I'm not actually trying to sell Mexadama, that part is a joke. Unless someone actually wants to give me $13,000 for a cubic yard, of course.

@BillsBayou
I don't know if you will ever read this message because of the ignore option (I'm not familiar with that) but I want to offer you my apologies.

I'm a bit shocked by your response because my post was not meant to be rude or to offend you in any way or form and I'm very sorry if it looked that way to you.
Ofcourse you can have your discussion, there are lots of "soil wars" topics. ;)

In South America and some parts of Spain red brick is being used. It is very similar to turface, but it crushes as your Mexican pottery.
So, my question is what kind of results do growers get using brick? I have a couple ficus cuttings in crushed brick, and overall, I saw moderate growth, they were healthy. But it's only been a few months.

In my area, I should be able to access plenty of broken Mexican pottery, and I'm a cheapskate, so thanks for the tip, @BillsBayou. Definitely going to look into this.

So, my question is what kind of results do growers get using brick? I have a couple ficus cuttings in crushed brick, and overall, I saw moderate growth, they were healthy. But it's only been a few months.

In my area, I should be able to access plenty of broken Mexican pottery, and I'm a cheapskate, so thanks for the tip, @BillsBayou. Definitely going to look into this.
Pottery from Mexico. Don't use any of that pottery from New Mexico. ;)

Back
Top Bottom