Lower buds on air layer didn’t leaf out

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I separated this air layer last fall. I was excited to see the buds form lower on the tree as I’m looking to reduce this tree down with a hard chop. I’m thinking I should just let it gain strength this growing season after separation from the mother plant. Other than a hard prune is there any way to get these buds lower on the tree to leaf out? Here’s the tree.IMG_6715.jpeg
As you can see the buds are at that first fork.
IMG_6714.jpeg

I would just let it gain strength for this growing season. The tree is trying to grow both foliage and roots right now since it's a new air layer. It's also a lace leaf (?) which are a little less vigorous, generally speaking, on their own roots. Once it's strong, late summer or next year, you can chop back and the backbuds will come.

I would just let it gain strength for this growing season. The tree is trying to grow both foliage and roots right now since it's a new air layer. It's also a lace leaf (?) which are a little less vigorous, generally speaking, on their own roots. Once it's strong, late summer or next year, you can chop back and the backbuds will come.
This was my thinking as well. Thanks for the input.

I separated this air layer last fall. I was excited to see the buds form lower on the tree as I’m looking to reduce this tree down with a hard chop. I’m thinking I should just let it gain strength this growing season after separation from the mother plant. Other than a hard prune is there any way to get these buds lower on the tree to leaf out? Here’s the tree.View attachment 544604
As you can see the buds are at that first fork.
View attachment 544605
Wow. congrats, a successful air layer on a dissectum!

I'd be more concerned about using energy to get it in a wider pot.

It seems to be planning on abandoning the far foilage in favor of those new buds, that could get you in a well fermented pickle.

I'd observe, while thinking about a wider pot.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom