Little Christmas tree contest? 2023 to 2026.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I know it’s getting late in the year, but right now is when the good deals can be had on these Seasonal Holiday trees.

I picked up an Alberta spruce today half off, and was like, “ I should see if anyone wants to do this again.”

This one was half off from $40-$20, so I decided to give Alberta Spruce another try.IMG_0182.jpeg

I would like to try...
I've seen many a video of them being styled, but no progress/after care vids.
Do they not do well?
Gonna looks in the stres for a possible victim.

really? You get discounts BEFORE christmas?
I guess. You never know. This was at the Home Depot. Colorado blue spruce in 5 gal burlapped for 30$ as well. I would have gotten one of those, but I couldn’t see the trunks.

4 years ago I found closeout 1 gal albertas for 2.50$ at Lowes the week before Christmas.

Do you have any recent photos of yours?

I got one recently… already ready!
Nice. So you’re in? If At least 10 or so people are interested I’ll put up a proper contest thread. Including myself, I think we’re up to four already. 🤣

I would like to try...
I've seen many a video of them being styled, but no progress/after care vids.
Do they not do well?
Gonna looks in the stres for a possible victim.
I would say the majority of the time, people like to work trees too much.
Grocery store tree to overnight bonsai, doesn’t usually fare well.

I killed 15 Christmas clearance- 1 gal Dwarf Alberta spruce trees- A few years back. Aside from repotting, I massacred these trees in every way.

I’m Learning the- one insult at a time -rule slowly.
Anyways, I couldn’t do absolutely nothing to this tree, So I decided to chop the pot to get A better view of the trunk, and just do a conservative cleaning of the tree.IMG_0184.jpeg I focused on removing the week sprouts in undesirable places.IMG_0189.jpegIMG_0186.jpegIMG_0187.jpeg
Next year I hope to work the roots sum, and repot the tree, Followed later by initial wiring.

Still waiting for the price drops around here, but what the hell, I could do another clearance DAS. I already have a couple laying around so I could always end up throwing them together in a group later on if nothing comes of them 😂 I'm also hoping to find a Colorado blue spruce for the low this year, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Nice. So you’re in? If At least 10 or so people are interested I’ll put up a proper contest thread. Including myself, I think we’re up to four already. 🤣
Yup… if the patient survives… don’t think it has much of roots… but might go next weekend look around for something better

So in!
I buy a little cone topiary every year, usually a eugenia, but it would be great to find a stone pine.

We get a 70 dollar credit towards christmas trees at work; garden centers in the states often sell cut trees in the winter. We have some "live christmas trees" too (spruces, hollies, thujas, just plain nursery stock with a festive them) I'll ask if that credit can go towards one of them, would that count as discount? :)

I had one of these in my hand today at Lowe’s and put it back. If I’m patient I’ll get one on clearance soon enough.

Do you have any recent photos of yours?
Nope. I styled them for an online video contest. Then I left it alone. It has been unwired in fall, in winter I will rewire and prune.
Next to this, I put a number of them on a rock. All these survived no worries, but the bloody birds dug up the planting during my holidays last month. My "caretaker" poored new substrate on and in winter I will prune, wire and re-moss that rock.
Updates afterwards.
I MIGHT get in if I can find a BIG pot-grown tree. Mostly these are field-grown here and ripped out for chirstmas, so horrible roots, nothing with a good chance of survival

I'm in if I find something decent this year.

I just bought a DAS recently on a discount. Could use that too.

I feel like you should know better 🤣

I have one from when I didn't know any better. Was struggling with it when trying a traditional spruce design, so decided to go a bit extreme with it this year. Which reminds me, I don't think I took an after picture, I should do that before it's covered in snow.

I’ll join the contest. I have 3 DAS currently. One is tallest at just at 2.5’-3’ feet and might need a little more pruning and wiring. The 2nd is shorter that got a major hack job (more of a chunky Charlie Brown DAS). I’m unsure it can tolerate holding decorative lights/wires. And the 3rd is a short and thinner twin trunk that got pruned already with bottom branches guy wired down to open the tree up. The twin trunk feature was a surprise due to density upon purchase.

Back
Top Bottom