Itoigawa help, suggestion and tips

nuchiareu

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,
I just acquired this juniper itoigawa and I have a feeling is not doing so well, my guess is that the akadama soil it's planted in got milled and the roots don't get enough oxigen.
My plan is to repot it in spring with some better soil.
I might be wrong as I don't know a lot about this species, is the color right for this time ?(I m in the UK), the guy I bought it from suggested that's the case but it also has a few dead branches that make me believe otherwise.
Any guidance and tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 87
I think you're on the right track. To me the soil looks too compacted at this point so the tree probably isn't thriving. I'd leave as is for now and be very judicious with your watering. It's probably tough in the UK with the amount of rain you guys get but I'd try to make sure the soil is drying out between waterings.

Some people will poke a chop stick or something similar into the soil to try and create some aeration. Also, if the tree hasn't been fertilized in a while it could be missing some nutrients.

Its definitely more yellow than I would expect. They do change color a little when it gets cold, but it’s still too early for that where I am. It does look like it needs a repot in spring. Is it getting full sun?

Its definitely more yellow than I would expect. They do change color a little when it gets cold, but it’s still too early for that where I am. It does look like it needs a repot in spring. Is it getting full sun?
Agree the color is off.

Please put your location on your profile so we don't have to repeatedly ask you where you are located and can give you proper advice and info. Location is an important factor in bonsai as it relates to weather and seasonal patterns.

The soil looks pretty wet and heavy. What kind of soil do you have it in and how of do you water.

Hi,
I just acquired this juniper itoigawa and I have a feeling is not doing so well, my guess is that the akadama soil it's planted in got milled and the roots don't get enough oxigen.
My plan is to repot it in spring with some better soil.
I might be wrong as I don't know a lot about this species, is the color right for this time ?(I m in the UK), the guy I bought it from suggested that's the case but it also has a few dead branches that make me believe otherwise.
Any guidance and tips would be appreciated.
My observations are as follows.
1. The soil is likely fine, the key is to water effectively for the soil being used. Allow the soil to dry out a bit before watering. Junipers do not do well in wet conditions. How we manage the situation is important. If it is straight akadama then it may be too moisture retentive for juniper in your climate.
2. The stressed condition is likely caused by the "aggressive pruning and wiring " as much as anything. Junipers develop better with carefully managed pruning and wiring. Trees that are in vigorous and healthy condition can withstand heavy pruning and wiring if also maintained in optimum care practices. This does not mean it is best practice time to do so for all junipers.
3. My advice would be to manage carefully the care at this point, Check the soil and root condition for possible repot in the spring.
4. The odds are that the approach used for pruning and wiring may also have been used in repotting and the tree needs a couple of growing seasons to recover properly and return to good health.

Just some observations and thoughts for your consideration. You did not say how long you have had the tree or when the various work was comp[leted. Or by whom? So the observations are general in nature based on lack of specific history provided. Hope they help anyone considering a similar situation.
Best in Bonsai

Does water pool on top of the soil? If it does, soji might be a good stopgap. Scrape off the top ½" of soil and get out the fine degraded soil. Then backfill with good soil and VERY lightly top w/ grated/milled sphagnum. Scrape off the old soil to hopefully allow more oxygen into the roots and improve drainage. New soil ...for obvious reasons. The sphagnum to lock everything in place.

Done correctly its not a very intrusive operation, and I've seen pretty quick turnaround when poor drainage was an actual issue. If drainage isn't the issue, this won't have any effect.

Is trying to as the UK right now is quite dark but yes it's placed in a sunny sport.

My observations are as follows.
1. The soil is likely fine, the key is to water effectively for the soil being used. Allow the soil to dry out a bit before watering. Junipers do not do well in wet conditions. How we manage the situation is important. If it is straight akadama then it may be too moisture retentive for juniper in your climate.
2. The stressed condition is likely caused by the "aggressive pruning and wiring " as much as anything. Junipers develop better with carefully managed pruning and wiring. Trees that are in vigorous and healthy condition can withstand heavy pruning and wiring if also maintained in optimum care practices. This does not mean it is best practice time to do so for all junipers.
3. My advice would be to manage carefully the care at this point, Check the soil and root condition for possible repot in the spring.
4. The odds are that the approach used for pruning and wiring may also have been used in repotting and the tree needs a couple of growing seasons to recover properly and return to good health.

Just some observations and thoughts for your consideration. You did not say how long you have had the tree or when the various work was comp[leted. Or by whom? So the observations are general in nature based on lack of specific history provided. Hope they help anyone considering a similar situation.
Best in Bonsai
I have the tree for only 2 weeks, the last owner told me that repporting/pruning and pinching has been done in spring, my guess is that they did not fertilise at all, you can see the tree has not been done much growing this season.

Agree the color is off.

Please put your location on your profile so we don't have to repeatedly ask you where you are located and can give you proper advice and info. Location is an important factor in bonsai as it relates to weather and seasonal patterns.

The soil looks pretty wet and heavy. What kind of soil do you have it in and how of do you water.
It seems to have a mostly akadama with probably another 30% of pumice/lava, I only had it for 2 weeks and never watered as we have a lot of rain here.

I have the tree for only 2 weeks, the last owner told me that repporting/pruning and pinching has been done in spring, my guess is that they did not fertilise at all, you can see the tree has not been done much growing this season.
Previous owner said it was repotted in 2024?
If the soil is as you say, it's likely OK as stated by @River's Edge but if it is mostly akadama, the surface looks older to me than a this year repot. Also if it is 60% akadama ), it will stay wetter than the mix many of us use. For juniper, no more than 30% is standard with the rest being lava and pumice. Especially as much rain as you get in the UK you are going to want to switch to a soil mix that will retain less water.

For now, get the moss off the pot and I would very gently scrape the surface of the soil, a procedure we call soji. Be careful not to harm any surface roots. Replace what you remove with pumice or lava for now.

Otherwise give it a little fertilizer now and mid October and just leave it be. Overwinter it as appropriate for your area.

Back
Top Bottom