How long for aerial roots to form (f Microcarpa)?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey folks. During the indoor season for my microcarpa, I decided to see if I can get it to grow some low aerial roots to hopefully help fatten up the trunk over time. To do that, I wrapped a solo cup around the trunk, taped the seam, and added long fiber sphagnum to the cup. The moss has remained moist and the tree is on a heating pad with light and a breeze and adequate fertilization, everything seems set for success based on what I've read, but what I haven't found in reading about this method is a time estimate. How long should I be expecting it to take before there are some aerial roots, if any? I'm happy to leave the cup on all winter if that's what it takes, but would appreciate any anecdotal data you might have. (I realize the lighting looks a little dim here but it has a spider farmer sf2000 overhead, which it shares with a pineapple that's hogging a lot of space)

20240930_123851.jpg

It shouldn't take very long (months), especially since these will be more like ground layer roots than aerial roots. You probably will be able to see them through the plastic. Let them reach the soil below the moss and thicken a bit before you SLOWLY expose them.

It's a bit like how long is a piece of string.

Aerial roots form when there is sufficient humidity.
Roots grow quicker if the tree is healthy.
Roots grow quicker if the tree is growing fast.
Roots grow quicker if temps are right for growth.
Roots grow quicker if the tree is well fed.
This tree looks healthy and you are confident light is adequate. You have provided the humidity required. Now you only need the tree to be actively growing for quick results.
At a wild guess I'd expect to see proto roots emerging in a few weeks but it might take a month or 2 to see them start to elongate and actually look like roots. In good conditions roots might even reach the soil before the end of winter but it might also take a year or 2 to get that far. The best I can say is expect the best but have patience in case it takes longer.

Yes it's the other season, but, there is information.....
Mine grew actual aerial roots stupid easy on the ground in long grass in the summer.

There's something to be said about the new roots growing faster if the old roots aren't getting enough water.

#treesaresmart

Sorce

I've been watering the tree once a day in the kitchen sink first thing in the morning, a bit hesitant to go less than that (although it could probably manage), there's a fan on in the spare room that's blowing the entire time the lights are on (connected to the same outlet timer) and the soil seems to be relatively dry on the surface every evening, although the pot is a bit on the deep side for bonsai
Yes it's the other season, but, there is information.....
Mine grew actual aerial roots stupid easy on the ground in long grass in the summer.

There's something to be said about the new roots growing faster if the old roots aren't getting enough water.

#treesaresmart

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom