Hi everyone! I’m a newbie!

Biker2001

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I’m almost new to bonsai.
I say new but I’ve been growing trees and shrubs for over 20 years but have never been able to call any of my trial bonsai attempts real bonsai!
I have a 10 year old larch tree that was given to me and I really want to keep it in bonsai form as a rememberance of the person who has sadly passed away.
In the photo of the tree I’ve attached, the lower bottom right branch has been cut off, and the other branches are as shown, some with feeble wiring attempts to bend the limbs to shape!
Can anyone pls advise how to remove or bend the branches to make it look like an established tree?
I’ve grown it at an angle in order to make an informal leaning style.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 11641D56-28E4-4D05-84B6-1536CEFB69B6.jpeg
    11641D56-28E4-4D05-84B6-1536CEFB69B6.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 53
HI and welcome! I think that you'll get more and better advice if you take the photo from lower, basically straight on to the tree from even with it up against a plain background. It's too hard to see what is going on from the angle you show it at. Also when work is performed on trees really is important dependent on where you live climate wise, so please go to your profile to add that. Looks like healthy growth on it currently.

This entire website is about making that look like an established tree. The best advice is to start reading. Check out the Resources section of this website, pick up a book or two on bonsai, and watch some YouTube videos to get started. Ultimately, the best way to learn is to join a club and work with skilled bonsai practitioners who can look at your tree(s) in person and show you what to do and when to do it.

Welcome! I think the advice already stated is great! Since the tree is sentimental to you. I wouldn’t be in a rush to create a bonsai with this tree. Unless you were skilled in bonsai you can easily kill this tree doing work to it without knowing from experience the most likely outcome from the work. I agree with @Gabler that simply finding someone local skilled in bonsai is your best bet to help you create a bonsai with it. Otherwise I think you are rolling the dice with it living.

Welcome! I think the advice already stated is great! Since the tree is sentimental to you. I wouldn’t be in a rush to create a bonsai with this tree. Unless you were skilled in bonsai you can easily kill this tree doing work to it without knowing from experience the most likely outcome from the work. I agree with @Gabler that simply finding someone local skilled in bonsai is your best bet to help you create a bonsai with it. Otherwise I think you are rolling the dice with it living.
Hi and thanks for your reply!
Yes I guess it’s a little difficult to see what needs to be done to the tree in my photos!
I’ll try to take a photo with a plain backdrop if I can.
Thanks also for the suggestions that I read bonsai books and watch videos! I’ve read numerous books but actually doing it are two different things.
Make a wrong chop or bend and a tree will either die or the effect will be ruined.
This tree I’m chatting about was given to me by a dear old gentleman when he found it growing in his garden.
That gentleman passed away and I want to preserve this tree as a memento of him.
As I say, I have made a few changes to the tree, wiring a few limbs and cutting some off but as a newbie, it’s difficult to know if what you’re doing is right!

Back
Top Bottom