Help please! Japanese Larch in trouble

ehorne

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all, hope you will be able to give me some advice. I have what I believe is a Japanese Larch - my daughter gave it to me for my 40th birthday last winter (so it was delivered with bare branches). It's been on the bathroom windowsill since then but I recently moved it and have realised that it's not getting as much sun as previously. It did grow some needles this year, though not many. I've just been away for a week and come back to it looking very sad - the needles are brown and dropping and honestly a lot of the branches seem to be dead. There was some mould on the surface of the compost but it was damp rather than soaked. Have I killed it? If you can help me save it I will be very grateful! I'm not a novice gardener but this is my first bonsai.

Attachments

• PXL_20240831_152121134.jpg
    PXL_20240831_152121134.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240831_152134513.jpg
    PXL_20240831_152134513.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240831_152141361.jpg
    PXL_20240831_152141361.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240831_152146718.jpg
    PXL_20240831_152146718.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 56
Hey hello and welcome! Not a Larch expert but just a few questions to get started. Hmmm...Was this already wired since you've had it, if not do you know when it was wired? What zone do you live in? What else can you tell us about your cate routine?

Was anyone watering it for the last week? Also these are outdoor trees, not bathroom trees. Once they drop their needles like this they are usually toast, but keep watering it just on case.

Hello. Looks bad...

Where are you located?

A few comments. If you received this LAST winter, and until this very day it was in your bathroom, It hasnt seen a single key physiological cue for the tree to know when to do what with itself. Trees other than tropical trees stay outside all year for this reason.

How often were you watering it inside?

Regarding the wiring, Id also like to know who and when. I typically wire larch in late summer/autumn. If this was on when you got it, The tree may have been long gone a while ago since no wire is shown biting in.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been watering weekly and feeding over the summer every few weeks along with other plants. Yes, I now realise that it shouldn't have been kept indoors 😕. It isn't a hot windowsill but if course it's still not going to deliver the correct environment for growth.
It was wired like this when I got it (December 2023).
Looks like bad news eh? I had hoped that it was alive in spite of the poor growth because it did grow at least some needles this year, but I think maybe I've finished it off.

Is there anything I can do in case there's a spark of life in it still?

Sorry should have said - I'm in the UK (midlands).

Unfortunately, the tree is likely beyond help at this point. Larch can't be kept inside. They're temperate zone species and need winter cold and dormancy to remain healthy. The tree has been weakening all year indoors. You can undo all that damage easily, or even at all.

I'd pull it out of the pot and plant it in the backyard. Keep the roots moist (not soggy) and see what happens next spring.

Thanks for your advice - I'll give it a go, and buy a replacement (which will be kept outdoors 🙄). Thanks!

I've been watering weekly
Watering on a schedule is not ideal. Water when the soil is dry on the surface and roughly 1/3 of the way through the pot. So if your pot is 3" deep, water when dry about 3/4" - 1" down in the soil. Use a chopstick to indicate when the soil is dry or your fingers.

Outside, bonsai need watering usually every day. I water mine every day unless we receive a heavy rain.

The tree likely died due to lack of watering on your schedule.

Back
Top Bottom