Help on first style for an Oak

Pájaro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Bnut

I have this English Oak recovered on January.
I am planning to do first wiring on September
since I am a newbie I have all the doubts coming to what style should match this tree and what I should try to pursue on first styling
IMG_5288.jpg
IMG_5235.jpg

My first thought is to to think in a kind of literaty style where I would keep the long neck on the trunk visible and the foliar mass would grop mainly at the top.As you can see on the picture the latest (top) part of the trunk it is pretty straight compared with the base. That makes me think that in the future the tree may be built out of the bottom branches and that top will go.

There are many oportunities for the primary structure, that makes it more difficult for me :)

Tryed to draw some sketches that would help me to have an image:
IMG_5289.jpg

On the first drawing the foliar mass seems to resemble more of a conifer, imho,
on the other two I tryed to draw more the up-and-out shape of a decidious billow.

Do you think that this would make sense through the years? Should I try to do the first wiring trying to pursue something like this?
Do you think that chopping the upper part of the trunk will be the best option when the time is right? In that case, would you start to prepare the bottom branches to form the future tree already at this time?

Any other suggestion will be very wellcome
Thanks in advance

By "recovered on January" do you mean it was collected (dug up) Jan 2024? Also, can you please add your general location to your profile? Advice will depend on where you are in the world.

Hi Brian,

Yes I meant collected,
since then just let it grow, right now about to give a second push.
Not planning to cut anything until next spring,
as I mentioned, thinking on wiring on September and how

I am in the north of Spain, inland mediterranian ambient, zone 9 USDA

Hi Brian,

Yes I meant collected,
since then just let it grow, right now about to give a second push.
Not planning to cut anything until next spring,
as I mentioned, thinking on wiring on September and how

I am in the north of Spain, inland mediterranian ambient, zone 9 USDA
You should add your location to your profile so when people click on your name it shows your general location. If you notice everyone else on the site has that just so we know what climate people are doing what and when. I agree you should just let it grow until next year.

......My first thought is to to think in a kind of literaty style where I would keep the long neck on the trunk visible and the foliar mass would group mainly at the top. As you can see on the picture the latest (top) part of the trunk it is pretty straight compared with the base. That makes me think that in the future the tree may be built out of the bottom branches and that top will go......

Yes, wait until spring for significant work, and then only if you continue to get good growth this year.

You seem to be pretty thoughtful about your approach. Yes, you have very little taper on the trunk, but good movement. If you wanted to do something more natural for oaks then the lack of taper would be a problem. If you're going for a literati style, then not so much. For the literati the challenge is the straight part of the trunk (top third). You could cut back to one of the lower branches to serve as your new top trunk and wire it to continue the movement you have in the lower trunk.

Thanks Brian,
the possibility of choping that trunk really scares me 😣
but I see the point on your suggestion

There is a group of three branches already there before a gap up to the rest on the top
1720373119974.jpeg
the one at the front is tyniest of them, then two at the side and one on the back, that it is actually the highest on that part
I guess there is the possibility with oaks that after cutting back more will show,

If the tree continues showing health all the way when would you recommend to do this operation?

More context on the tree:
It was prepared for collection on May '24, with a air layer at the base underground.
Collected in January with a root ball 8 inches diameter aprox.
Fertilizing since May '25
Few buds push twice, rest at the tips are currently inflating :)

Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom