Fukien Tea is Sad, Any Ideas?

Malt_Meister

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4A
Good morning!

I have a Fukien Tea bonsai, as you can see in the pictures below, and it is looking quite sad...

I repotted this tree a few weeks ago, into a soil composed of equal parts of Calcined clay, organic matter, and decomposed granite...

I scratched the bark a few days back and some green is underneath leading me to believe there is still life!

Anyhow, I live in Alberta Canada, and for now until summer this tree is inside, approximately 5 feet from a very big southern window. He gets plenty of sun, and I also have a supplementary humidity tray.

I use a toothpick deep in the soil to gauge when he needs water, but even after all this, the tree is yellowing, shrivelled, and the leaves are just generally wilting and soft. Any ideas guys?

20130413_100422.jpg

20130413_100456.jpg

20130413_100520.jpg

More light and heat

I would guess your tree is suffering with temps that are lower than it likes, as well as less sunlight than it likes until summer hits. You might also have fungus issues if the soil isn't drying out between waterings, but it appears you're being sufficiently careful. Longer hours of daylight will probably help, and a sun lamp or fluorescent lamp will probably help as well during winter months. Office environments with 24/7 fluorescent lighting are actually good places for Fukien Tea bonsai because they get enough light and the temp. is stable at about 68-70F. Humidity trays don't always help, but misting or even a heating pad for additional warmth might help if your room is too cold in winter. These plants are hardy down to fairly cold temps, but they definitely slow down a lot. Mine stay outside all winter and we often get down to upper 40s at night. I only bring mine in for near-frost temps. They'll yellow and/or drop leaves for a while, but always come back as it warms up. Make sure you don't have insects like mites or anything (murphy's oil soap diluted in a spray bottle for that), and only use very dilute fertilizer (some would say none!) while the growth is slow.

I think I would have to agree, as the temperature around here is quite low right now, so it just may be lacking warmth and sun. I want to put this guy outside, but being that even now in the middle of April it is still getting down to about 20F at night, It will be a number of weeks before outside is suitable...

I have checked extensively for pests, but none seem to be present, so I think Ill just try to give it as much sun as possible for now..

Thanks a lot for the reply!

What did you use for the organic, peat? Pine bark would be better, but it should be ok either way. It's going to need time to adjust. Why five feet from the window and not right next to it? It's easier to adapt conditions for a tree than try to adapt a tree to conditions. I would put it next to the window if possible and either way get supplemental lighting for it. You're going to need to keep it indoors next winter too so it would be a good investment. A simple shop light from the hardware store would be good.

Yes, Peat happened to be the organic component I had immediately available to me, so that is what I used...

As far as the distance from the window, it just happens that my desk is about that far from it and the windowsill is too narrow to fit the pot so it has to sit on my desk as a result...

What did you use for the organic, peat? Pine bark would be better, but it should be ok either way. It's going to need time to adjust. Why five feet from the window and not right next to it? It's easier to adapt conditions for a tree than try to adapt a tree to conditions. I would put it next to the window if possible and either way get supplemental lighting for it. You're going to need to keep it indoors next winter too so it would be a good investment. A simple shop light from the hardware store would be good.

You can take some orchid bark chunks and grind them it in a blade/coffee grinder or put them in a pillowcase and smash it up with a hammer then mix with sand, peat and/or regular garden soil in about even amounts for a decent substrate. If you're keeping the tree 5' from the window because the window area itself is that much colder, then you will definitely want to consider a lamp of some sort. Grow lamps from the internet shouldn't be expensive or ugly, your tree will love you for it. Wait for warmer weather to repot, though, I would think that doing any of this right now might be problematic.

Yea, I was in my local garden centre recently and noticed they had some stuff like that so I will remember for future reference! Thanks!

My first tree was a Fukien Tea, I killed it the first time I repotted it.

Most tropical plants I know seem to prefer being repotted during warmer days (i.e. no less than 50*F even at night).

FT loves warm areas with bright sunlight. Sorry but this will be a tough & continues battle for you and your plant.

Fukien Tea,

comes from China, a zone 10 to 9, and if it comes from Fujian provence it may be even more cold tolerant say zone 8.
In the U.K zone 8, Fukien Teas are kept outdoors during winter in a structure that has just a plastic covering, no heat.

You need to factor this in when growing the shrub.

They can adapt to truly Tropical weather,but they will rest as the day shortens and temperatures drop to 18/19 deg.C.

You guys should take some cuttings and plant them in the ground see what the real limit is temperature wise.

I suspect you are not allowing the shrub to rest around December to April.

There is nothing wrong with using peat moss, just use less.
Factor in the water holding capacity, you are probably using too much.

You can tell a Fukien tea is healthy because it will continuously put out extensions.
When it stops throwing out extensions and especially if it starts to fruit heavily, it may be sick or dying.

It is best to have somewhere between 3 to 5 Fukien teas to learn from.
Use the seeds and grow new plants.
Good Day.
Anthony

Guys,

please remember China has no Tropical zone. This is where the growing problem is coming from. Even down here as the days shorten, the trees begin to rest. Though we have no chance of frost [ limit 55 deg.F ] our trees still rest. November/December to February/March.

In fact with heavy rainfall, the trees down here stop growing as well.

All the so called trees you get from China [ even the Ficus ] are more cold tolerant than you are being told by those wishing to sell ---- Indoor Bonsai.
Good Morning.
Anthony

Back
Top Bottom