For JudyB... my loquat tree

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is what a loquat looks like. I think it is a very pretty tree, and it fruits in March - about two months earlier than my peaches, and a lot earlier than my citrus.

IMG_20150314_134046688.jpg IMG_20150314_134101059.jpg IMG_20150314_134138904_HDR.jpg

Last photo is out of focus, but shows you what a single seed looks like. There are 1 to 4 seeds per piece of fruit. They germinate easily down here, and the seedling is true to the parent. Best of all, this tree gets no supplemental watering from me, whatsoever, all year long.

Fantastic eating. We used to stuff ourselves as kids. Good memories.... Made a few bottles of jam from a tree down the road last year.

Amazing that it's so localized that we in the east wouldn't even know of it. Looks delicious. Send me a pie!
Must be like our mulberry childhood memories here.

I just learned about these trees about a week ago - and tried a few fresh off the tree - they were very good! Not being from California, they were new to me. I have since learned that they're native to China, and the name is actually an English version of the Cantonese name for the tree. I wonder how they got over here to America. I would imagine they were just brought over by people who were familiar with them in their Asian context and later grew in popularity here. Bonsai Nut, do you know if there's a story behind their arrival in the U.S.?

Those are awesome, I love the fruit. I have three in my yard, if we have a mild winter, we get tons of fruit, it we have a bad winter the young fruit freezes.

John

As I said we grew up with them. Neglected to add it was in South Africa. They were everywhere. Grew like wild fire. Everybody had one in the backyard. They actually got a bad wrap late on. People said they were a breeding ground for pests..... That's how I remember it. Whether its true I never asked. Was to busy with other naughty stuff... :)

B-Nut there are several cultivars of loquat in Florida, at least 4-5 that I am familiar with. They have long leaves like a peach so I have never tried one for Bonsai. They get fire blight and eaten by fruit flies, which Florida has a bunch of fruit flies....
'
ed

They grew well down here, but like the Lychee would not fruit. Needs the cold.
Fortunately we have the Rambutans.
Good Day
Anthony

LOTS of Chinese came to the US in the 19th Century. It's likely that the loquat came with them. We always had a tree in our yard in S. California and then in Florida.

I have no idea of the history of the loquat, but they spread here like a native. They are medium-sized trees, evergreen, and respond well to trimming and shaping. I got a small one off one of my palms, where a seed had been dropped on the trunk (probably by a bird) and it germinated on the trunk :) I just removed the seedling, potted it up, and am about to plant it in my backyard as an ornamental. The fruit has the same texture as a peach, and a similar taste, though a little bit milder and not as tart.

The tree I took a picture of is in my front yard. About ten years ago I discovered it growing amid some oleanders. I have been trimming it to develop ramification and it is now quite dense. It flowers around Christmas and fruits in early Spring. The fact that you don't have to water it - at all - is huge down here in Southern Cal, where our water rates have recently more than tripled.

Last edited:
They grew well down here, but like the Lychee would not fruit. Needs the cold.

Are you sure about this Anthony? I have found no mention of them needing cold to fruit. In fact, not only do they fruit in Southern California and Florida, they fruit throughout Central America, Mexico, Bermuda, Hawaii, and other locations that don't get any cold at all.

Not all varieties are self fertile. He probably has one of the cultivars that is not self-fertile and needs a tree of the opposite sex for pollination (and of course, his would have to be female to have fruit). Loquats need a warm climate to produce fruit. They will survive in warm temperate climates with winter protection, but usually do not grow fruit to ripeness.

I always considered the 8 inch leaves to be too large for bonsai.

Loquats are frequently used as ornamentals here in South Carolina. Attractive, evergreen shrubs or small trees, though they can get leggy if not pruned. Fruit is usually produced in February.

Back
Top Bottom