First post: Should I repot or air layer this first?

chuckyblack09

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello all, I am at the tail end of my first bonsai winter! I just picked up this Katsura maple from a nursery the other day and I'm a little stumped on what to do first with it. These were the options I have cooked up in my head. Any thoughts on these as well as new suggestions?

1) The soil seems to essentially be compacted and drain terribly so I'm thinking a repot with better soil for drainage is in order first. I could build a nice little 2X4 frame with plywood bottom and drill some nice drainage holes. I would feel much more comfortable as a beginner keeping it alive this year knowing the water drainage is good. I could let it grow out more as well and get some air layers from it next spring. This option would also allow me to get a head start on reducing the roots and training them more flat.

2) I could go for the air layers this year and keep the main trunk in the bad soil. I could get more trees this year, but would be worried about the main tree in that soil all year.

3) Get some air layers this year, and then next spring if I don't kill the tree this year, try and air layer the trunk above the graft. This method is probably the least favored method by me since others have said the graft isn't bad so it's not too big of a worry and that there is a high risk of killing the tree if I try to air layer the trunk.

Let me know your thoughts and thank you for advice in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_004928254.jpg
    PXL_20240305_004928254.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20240305_004937208.jpg
    PXL_20240305_004937208.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 79
You could just plant it in the ground, maybe reduce it a little - keep it super healthy then air layer above the graft next or the following year.

I would repot into good soil, but with minimal root work. That might mean putting it back in the same nursery can. If it responds well then do air layers this year. You can put off the final air layer above the graft until you're sure.

Do you know what it is currently planted in? Looks like clay. If so, you will have a hard time cleaning the roots. FWIW, I wouldn't assume that the tree will die or even be harmed by staying in the pot. Drainage will stink and you will need to water accordingly. I have trees in the nursery pot they came in for years because I'm lazy. Best practices, no. But not a death sentence by far.

You also need to decide whether you want to keep the graft. If not, you could just leave it in the pot and go ahead and layer this season. You could dump the whole thing into the ground and layer this year as well.

If one isn't mucking with the roots, I wouldn't be concerned about the layer.
I personally don't think the graft is too bad but shortening the trunk and developing a nabari would be nice benefits to the air layer.

So if the grafting scar bothers Chucky then I think an air layer isn't a bad idea necessarily but I would want to keep that nice lower section to see if I could get two trees out of the material.. of course that's the newbie in me wanting "all the trees"

I'm already gonna drown in cherries but I probably won't learn to not be greedy this year

Hmm…

Wouldn’t put the tree in the ground. There is nothing to be gained if the media is compacted. If so the rootball will need to be worked anyways. Additionally, nothing to be gained in the ground unless one plans on at least 2-3 year stay and desires to fatten the tree up, which doesn’t appear to be of aesthetic value. Finally the tree will be harder to work on in ground.

First thing one might do is soji the rootball and see if this is merely 1-2” compacted soil issue on top. If this solves the issue no need for repot.

Alternately… and faster than soji, pop the tree out of the pot and look at the soil horizon all around the root ball. Explore the layers with a chopstick if this is an unfamiliar concept. This information will tell you immediately if you face a repot. If it does this will be a fairly quick minor root reduction repot as @BrianBay9 mentioned. Hopefully media will be at hand. This might be the first option.

One could easily begin air laying in May given either of these options are done fairly soon.

Honestly, and here’s where the aesthetic differences kick in, don’t see great options of the base tree…. due to the short first section after air layer, but this could be overcome with some innovation. Yet do see some lovely material for air layering for years to come… and Katsura’s can be hard to come by. So possible trade bait or develop each layer and sell off the ones you like the least to help buy better trees to develop the collection.

Anyways, that’s my two bits.

cheers
DSD sends

Wouldn’t put the tree in the ground.
To be sure, I only suggested this if he was layering now (and then I would just leave it in the pot).

I'm already gonna drown in cherries but I probably won't learn to not be greedy this year
LOL. This hobby tends to attract us perfectionist loons. Personally, I will continue to stockpile as much as I can care for until I start getting something right. You do have a ton of cherry material.
So possible trade bait or develop each layer and sell off the ones
I for one am down for some katsura

Thanks everyone for the great feedback so far!

I think I'm leaning towards the repot soon and then if everything looks strong and healthy mid May, try one or 2 branches for an air layer and then sit on the decision to air layer the graft until next spring.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback so far!

I think I'm leaning towards the repot soon and then if everything looks strong and healthy mid May, try one or 2 branches for an air layer and then sit on the decision to air layer the graft until next spring.
Hope you have luck with it and you fall more in love with this tree and it's fun little quirks

I guess my only other concern/question is I believe the tree has started to wake up already and we have some cold nights coming ahead. Do I wait and repot closer to the end of March or will I miss the window to repot with the buds at the stage they are at right now? I have attached a picture of the buds.

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_181259021.jpg
    PXL_20240305_181259021.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 46
It will be fine if done now. Just give appropriate aftercare.

cheers
DSD sends

I do not see the reason for repotting. The tree has grown in that pot for the recent past and seems fine. It will be fine for another year or two.

I would layer this year. Get all the branches you want.

After separation, and when still in mid-growing season, Add a tall pot around the base and air/ground layer just at or above the graft. Leave theat in place and next spring separate, and pot up in a separate pot.

After removing some of the top soil, I'm not even sure keeping the tree on the root stock is even worth it. There's a big unsightly lump that I'm not even sure is salvageable. Is making air layers from the branches and the trunk possible all at once going in knowing that there's a risk I may lose some of the tree?

(Correct me if I'm wrong), but when air layering the branches and cutting the bark that branch essentially no longer depends on the lower part of the tree for nutrients and water and is why it will shoot new roots. So with that in mind, couldn't I just throw air layers on a bunch of branches and the trunk all at once and just take what I can get?

I have attached a picture of the root stock as well. Looks pretty ugly to me.

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_203005621.jpg
    PXL_20240305_203005621.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240305_203012110.jpg
    PXL_20240305_203012110.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 39
couldn't I just throw air layers on a bunch of branches and the trunk all at once and just take what I can get?
You could just see what you would get.
But. I would.. Ah well..

I would layer this year. Get all the branches you want.

After separation, and when still in mid-growing season, Add a tall pot around the base and air/ground layer just at or above the graft. Leave theat in place and next spring separate, and pot up in a separate pot.

That sounds like a nice place to keep the tree.

One can air layer multiple separate branches at once. But wouldn’t ground or air layer the trunk and then place air layers on the all the branches. If this wasn’t the first time for you, would say go for the ground layer as @leatherback suggested. However, as that’s not the case would recommend getting good at air layers first….doing, say 2-4 separate branches this year.

Given all goes well, then all in for the trunk. Then one would also learn after care and have some smaller trees to learn on.

But it’s your tree, your choice.

cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom