European Olive - Hardwood Cutting Under Grow Light

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey All,

My good Bonsai friend @Tycoss gifted me this nice cutting which was lopped off one of his European Olives while we were styling it.

Looking for feedback from somebody with experience rooting hardwood olive cuttings like this.

First we removed 50~60% of the foliage mostly old leaves. Then potted it into an inorganic mix and anchored it well. Watered, then left it in partial shade for a day. Then I put a plastic bag over it and placed it ~2ft away from my grow light. Its been 5 days since the cutting was taken. Humidity is 25~30% here right now.

1. Were the correct first steps taken?

2. What should the next steps be to improve odds of success?

3. What should I look out for?

Thanks in advance!

20231113_131249.jpg

20231114_214121.jpg

20231117_154342.jpg

Sorry for the lame bump, but I'm hoping a fellow BNut can chime in before I botch this cutting?

Sounds like you have done all the recommended things. Just be a bit cautious with excessive humidity and/or soil moisture. Olives are adapted to drier zones so don't like it too wet but I have no real insight on what is too much.

Olive cuttings are not all equal. Some types are extremely easy to root as cuttings. Some cultivars are almost impossible. I hope this is one of the former.

Thanks @Shibui !

I really appreciate the response, as time is probably of the essence with this cutting business.

I'll keep an eye on the moisture to make sure it's not excessively wet as you recommend. I put the bag on it just because it's so dry here and couldn't imagine any roots forming otherwise. I'm wondering if this is a smart thing to do or not.

Confirmed on there being olives easy to propagate vs not. I really hope this is the former too!

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom