Chinese elm is yellowing, Google hasn't been helpful

glass_shark

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all, hope you're well.

Today I bring you one of my elms that I snatched from under a bush about 2 years ago~ and its been doing okay, I wouldn't say its thrived but with elms I really can't tell.
It's been completely outside, except for the winter where I kept it in an unheated closet on my balcony. I've noticed its had some spots, they've come and gone, but the tree has taken on this sickly green color, and the leaves have thinned out a bit. I've compared it to another elm I have and the color difference is very apparent, the leaves feel slightly less firm too. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20230901_113414811.jpg
    PXL_20230901_113414811.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230901_113407781.jpg
    PXL_20230901_113407781.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230901_113402471.jpg
    PXL_20230901_113402471.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20230901_113347638.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230901_113347638.MP.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 48
This looks to me like it could be a watering issue. That soil is pretty coarse for an elm in N.C. The pot is also small, combined it could be staying too dry.

This looks to me like it could be a watering issue. That soil is pretty coarse for an elm in N.C. The pot is also small, combined it could be staying too dry.
Gotcha, I'll be repotting a few when it comes time anyway, I'll add this one to the list. I was told this soil is a ready to go option but it seems like it can't keep up with this heat, would more organics in the soil help or should I i just up the watering frequency? Thank you for the reply.

Gotcha, I'll be repotting a few when it comes time anyway, I'll add this one to the list. I was told this soil is a ready to go option but it seems like it can't keep up with this heat, would more organics in the soil help or should I i just up the watering frequency? Thank you for the reply.
You can't add organics to the existing soil without basically repotting it. If you can, add a layer of long fibered sphagnum moss(not peat moss) to the soil's surface. The moss will help keep the roots humid between watering (which you're going to have to watch closely). The Japanese use yamagoke moss, but stuff like this works too and you can get it at Home Depot or local nurseries.

You can't add organics to the existing soil without basically repotting it. If you can, add a layer of long fibered sphagnum moss(not peat moss) to the soil's surface. The moss will help keep the roots humid between watering (which you're going to have to watch closely). The Japanese use yamagoke moss, but stuff like this works too and you can get it at Home Depot or local nurseries.
Ive got some already actually, I'll give that a shot! Thank you very much! I usually throw a hand ful or two of miracle grow in just to have some water retention, I think when I potted this one I forgot to do that. Once it's closer to spring I'll add some in I think, until then I'll give the sphagnum a try.

Ive got some already actually, I'll give that a shot! Thank you very much! I usually throw a hand ful or two of miracle grow in just to have some water retention, I think when I potted this one I forgot to do that. Once it's closer to spring I'll add some in I think, until then I'll give the sphagnum a try.
Do NOT fertilize. This is a root issue. Fertilizer can complicate the issue, particularly if the roots have been too dry. Fertilizers can draw even more moisture out of roots. Fertilizer does nothing to help retain water.

Gotcha, thats very good to know. I gave it some about 2 weeks ago but I'll hold off on giving it any more this year.
Do NOT fertilize. This is a root issue. Fertilizer can complicate the issue, particularly if the roots have been too dry. Fertilizers can draw even more moisture out of roots. Fertilizer does nothing to help retain water.

Back
Top Bottom