Cherry Tree - Died?

katiekatie24

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to bonsai and really need some help with my tree. Back in October I have received a cherry bonsai tree. It was bare back then, no leaves etc. I had it over winter, placed it in sheltered spot, it had some wrap around it over frosty days. It seemed to be doing fine. About a month ago when days got warmer it had a few buds and flowers ( see pic) so it was alive. However straight after buds fell off the tree started looking sad. No leaves showed and its been looking sad since. I took all the wrapping off, took it to more sunny spot. I added last two photos to show what it looks like now. Has it died? I'm not sure if its somethig I've done or not done. Is there any chance saving it?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240509_185759_WhatsApp.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240509_185759_WhatsApp.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 44
  • SmartSelect_20240509_185912_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240509_185912_Gallery.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 42
  • SmartSelect_20240509_185924_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240509_185924_Gallery.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 40
It looks like the leaf buds are starting to come in. If you pinch one of the buds gently, are they green? If so, just be patient.

It looks like the leaf buds are starting to come in. If you pinch one of the buds gently, are they green? If so, just be patient.
Thanks for a reply. Unfortunately I can't see any buds on the tree. I initially thought there were some at the tips of the top branches but they are dry.

Unfortunately, that tree looks dead--withered bark on branching and twigs isn't a good sign. The soil is the issue. It likely retained too much water over the winter and rotted the roots. The tree budded initially, then called on reserves in the roots--which were dead, so there was nothing to sustain the flowers or new growth.

You can give it a few more weeks to see if it pushes new growth (which it might be able to do) but you're going to have to monitor the water it gets. It shouldn't look as soggy as it does now. In fact, you might consider pulling the tree out of the pot, washing all the soil off the roots inspecting them to see if there are any alive and replanting in better soil if there are.

Back
Top Bottom