Ceramics enthusiast, new to bonsai and have pot questions.

I like ceramics

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello! I am a newbie to bonsai and have become quite addicted. As someone who is also interested and experienced in ceramics, I'm getting more and more fascinated by bonsai pots, infact I would love to make my own.

However I know very little about bonsai pots (besides the selection process for trees I've seen explained by Bjorn from ei sei en on his website) and wanted to ask a few questions and was hoping to be pointed in the right direction.

First off, I was wondering what websites/places can I buy good quality pots directly from Tokoname, Japan and any good quality Chinese craftsman, if not directly maybe some European sellers of these pots? I want to look at and study some of these pots to see what makes them great.

Secondly, how can I tell if they're legitimate? Is there a list of stamps anywhere?

One design feature I often hear that is the proportions of the Japanese pots are great, in particular the thickness of the walls. Could anyone give a good run down on the proportions or even give a good estimate of the wall thickness?

Any tips/advice/direction would be fantastic. Thanks!

Hey there, I was in a similar position a couple of years ago, now I make and import pots in the UK. Check out the pots forum here and the sub-forum potmaking, plenty to discover there.
Next destination is japanesebonsaipots.net, Michael Ryan Bell has written a ton of blog posts on many of the potters in Japan.
You can also have a look at my site if you like, I try to write about each pot I'm selling as well as a biography of each potter.

Hello! I am a newbie to bonsai and have become quite addicted. As someone who is also interested and experienced in ceramics, I'm getting more and more fascinated by bonsai pots, infact I would love to make my own.

However I know very little about bonsai pots (besides the selection process for trees I've seen explained by Bjorn from ei sei en on his website) and wanted to ask a few questions and was hoping to be pointed in the right direction.

First off, I was wondering what websites/places can I buy good quality pots directly from Tokoname, Japan and any good quality Chinese craftsman, if not directly maybe some European sellers of these pots? I want to look at and study some of these pots to see what makes them great.

Secondly, how can I tell if they're legitimate? Is there a list of stamps anywhere?

One design feature I often hear that is the proportions of the Japanese pots are great, in particular the thickness of the walls. Could anyone give a good run down on the proportions or even give a good estimate of the wall thickness?

Any tips/advice/direction would be fantastic. Thanks!
You should designate your location in your avatar to the left. Even if it's only regional/country. That has a tremendous bearing on what you can get and from whom you get it. Definitely visit the sites that list chop marks. There is also a "Bonsai Pot Identification" and "Discover Potters Community" on Facebook that can help ID Japanese pots and showcase bonsai potters all over the world.

If you're in the U.S., one of the best importers of Japanese bonsai pots is Matt Ouwinga (Kaede-en Bonsai) in Maryland. He is a top source of affordable, solid Tokoname pots, as well as high-end Japanese pots. He sources his pots from bonsai nurseries in Japan and sells through Ebay-link above.

There are all manner of proportions and material used by the many bonsai potters in Japan. There is no single recipe for thickness, proportions, etc. They're slab built, mold built, thrown on wheels. Textures and types of clay used can be vastly varied, as are glazes, stains and finished. Some Japanese pots are quite unusual and innovative. The same goes for Western potters--there have been pioneers in America, the U.K. and Europe since the 1970s. There are more discovering bonsai pots every day (check out the Discover Potters Community on FB to see).

Best advice is to get out and actually see (and hopefully handle) good bonsai pots. Bonsai clubs can be a great place for that. If you can, buy a few from good reputable sellers (Ebay, Etsy and Amazon can be iffy, as can "mass market" bonsai sellers as most of the pots sold there are Chinese mass produced pots. Some of those are good .Many are just meh)

I think the most important things to consider apart from regular pottery is the large unsupported span of the bottom that you don't have in many or any other pots.

And the fact that they should be frost proof.

Last day of the sale!
Click the link!👇

Sorce

Please fill your profile info for better advise.

I think you live in Europe and there are plenty of webshops who sell Japanese (tokoname) pots.
Just google tokoname bonsai pots europe and you will find them.

If you want to import bonsai pots from Japan be aware of the VAT you have to pay when the package arrives within Europe.

If you want to do a little bit of research about chops/stamps.marks of Japanese and Chinese bonsai pot I can recommend you the website linked below.
Link: https://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Hey there, I was in a similar position a couple of years ago, now I make and import pots in the UK. Check out the pots forum here and the sub-forum potmaking, plenty to discover there.
Next destination is japanesebonsaipots.net, Michael Ryan Bell has written a ton of blog posts on many of the potters in Japan.
You can also have a look at my site if you like, I try to write about each pot I'm selling as well as a biography of each potter.
Brilliant, thank you! I will definitely check your site out if love to see/learn about some good European potters

You should designate your location in your avatar to the left. Even if it's only regional/country. That has a tremendous bearing on what you can get and from whom you get it. Definitely visit the sites that list chop marks. There is also a "Bonsai Pot Identification" and "Discover Potters Community" on Facebook that can help ID Japanese pots and showcase bonsai potters all over the world.

If you're in the U.S., one of the best importers of Japanese bonsai pots is Matt Ouwinga (Kaede-en Bonsai) in Maryland. He is a top source of affordable, solid Tokoname pots, as well as high-end Japanese pots. He sources his pots from bonsai nurseries in Japan and sells through Ebay-link above.

There are all manner of proportions and material used by the many bonsai potters in Japan. There is no single recipe for thickness, proportions, etc. They're slab built, mold built, thrown on wheels. Textures and types of clay used can be vastly varied, as are glazes, stains and finished. Some Japanese pots are quite unusual and innovative. The same goes for Western potters--there have been pioneers in America, the U.K. and Europe since the 1970s. There are more discovering bonsai pots every day (check out the Discover Potters Community on FB to see).

Best advice is to get out and actually see (and hopefully handle) good bonsai pots. Bonsai clubs can be a great place for that. If you can, buy a few from good reputable sellers (Ebay, Etsy and Amazon can be iffy, as can "mass market" bonsai sellers as most of the pots sold there are Chinese mass produced pots. Some of those are good .Many are just meh)
Thank you for the advice and link!

Please fill your profile info for better advise.

I think you live in Europe and there are plenty of webshops who sell Japanese (tokoname) pots.
Just google tokoname bonsai pots europe and you will find them.

If you want to import bonsai pots from Japan be aware of the VAT you have to pay when the package arrives within Europe.

If you want to do a little bit of research about chops/stamps.marks of Japanese and Chinese bonsai pot I can recommend you the website linked below.
Link: https://japanesebonsaipots.net/
Thanks! location added and gonna check out the link!

Can I just add that Alex is doing an amazing job of patronage for European potters, buying, promoting, educating and trading their pots. All artists need patrons, and he's a great ambassador for them and their work.

Back
Top Bottom