Appropriate Moisture level for watering / soil identification (juniper procumbens nana)

Reaction score
Hello all,

Context: I live in Florida

I am the typical mallsai buyer that is looking to do the best I can with what I have, and hopefully learn enough to keep it alive! I basically bought a cutting in a bonsai pot with an unidentified soil. I am unsure of what the soil mixture it might be. Because of this, I am unsure how much watering I should be expecting to do, as different soils require different watering frequencies. I'd like to know what I'm dealing with, so if you have any idea what the soil mixture is composed of, I'd appreciate the insight.

Additionally, I am having trouble identifying just how wet the soil is. I can't tell the difference between the soil after two days with no water and twelve hours with no water. It seems like there's some specific feel I'm not exactly able to find. Can anybody expand on what exactly I should be feeling to say if it's dry enough to water? Or maybe some visual cues? I have looked through a lot of internet resources and it's pretty general in the way they describe it. I'm hoping to find a precise description that I can rely on

Thank you for your help in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 14
Can you get a hold of a lollypop stick or a chop stick?
Something with plain, untreated wood.
You jam it in the soil and hit the bottom of the pot. Every time you want to water, take out the stick. If it's moist, no water. If it's damp, water or wait a little more. If it's dry, you should have watered earlier.
This is a fool proof system that many of us still use. It's the perfect way of establishing a feel for the soil and the behavior of your plant.
It works with all kinds of plants and all kinds of soil in all kinds of containers.

If you feel like it's an eye sore, clip the upper part off just above soil level.

The stick method is a good one. The sponge method gives you a realistic feel for the moisture level. Take a common sponge, soak it in water and wring it out well. The feel of the sponge is a near perfect state of moisture for your trees.

Back
Top Bottom