Any recomendations to what bonsai mix to use for growing a Punica Granatum Nejikan "japanese twisted pomegranate" in

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Any recomendations to what bonsai mix to use for growing a Punica Granatum Nejikan "japanese twisted pomegranate" in ? was looking at possibly bonsai jack organic or inorganic mix but honestly not sure . or would be best to grow the 2 inch potted plant further til bit stronger then slowly aclimate it to bonsai down the road .

I would just do 80-90% akadama and 10-20% Pumice since they're a very thirsty tree. If its a 2 inch potted plan now I would wait until the trunk size get to about a pencil size to do the transfer.

I would just do 80-90% akadama and 10-20% Pumice since they're a very thirsty tree. If its a 2 inch potted plan now I would wait until the trunk size get to about a pencil size to do the transfer.
Ty svm really apreciate your advice

Any recomendations to what bonsai mix to use for growing a Punica Granatum Nejikan "japanese twisted pomegranate" in ? was looking at possibly bonsai jack organic or inorganic mix but honestly not sure . or would be best to grow the 2 inch potted plant further til bit stronger then slowly aclimate it to bonsai down the road .
Not familiar with this species "Punica Granatum Nejikan" specifically nor your climate. But i would be hesitant to recommend 80-90% akadama for most trees, especially when adding your usda zone in to the mix, a quick google search indicates that you get very low temperatures (for me at least), how often do you experience freeze/thaw cycles in a year?

Also from my limited experience with pomegranate, i found they require more moisture when they are younger, but considerably less when they are older and more established.

Not familiar with this species "Punica Granatum Nejikan" specifically nor your climate. But i would be hesitant to recommend 80-90% akadama for most trees, especially when adding your usda zone in to the mix, a quick google search indicates that you get very low temperatures (for me at least), how often do you experience freeze/thaw cycles in a year?

Also from my limited experience with pomegranate, i found they require more moisture when they are younger, but considerably less when they are older and more established.
It will be grown indoors when fall /winter is incoming, so the akadama should be sufficient. I reached out to couple other sources mirai bonsai has several posts on the akadama seems they use all akadama on thiers but with the above recommended lava or pumice added it should be drier no? I can always ammendment it with other things to ensure drier conditions but what I've read is they love alot water when actively growing yet much drier (7 to 10 days between ) or just 1 inch down dryness before next watering when semidormant or dormant . Given my weather is way below recommended cold tolerance I will be growing indoors over the foldest parts of year and on germination mat as itll keep the ambient temps and roots warmer. Ive read if kept above 60°to 80°f it will remain semi dormant and if above 80°f won't go dormant at all possibly. Long as let go dormant once while it'll remain healthy or so I've read . I've seen people claim they have over sintered once dormant inside refrigerators where its kept above freezing but below 40f° which is basically where mine is set for seeds in cold stratification. So alot variables but also possibilities (maybe ) still alot to learn ofc . And maybe I'm misinformed so not saying what I've read or been told elsewhere is correct hence hoping many more people might respond 🤔 tbh several views but only 2 responded so wondering if I'm over typing or not being clear enough or maybe I'm hyper for responses and being off-putting idk . Hoping figure out and learn more

It will be grown indoors when fall /winter is incoming, so the akadama should be sufficient. I reached out to couple other sources mirai bonsai has several posts on the akadama seems they use all akadama on thiers but with the above recommended lava or pumice added it should be drier no? I can always ammendment it with other things to ensure drier conditions but what I've read is they love alot water when actively growing yet much drier (7 to 10 days between ) or just 1 inch down dryness before next watering when semidormant or dormant . Given my weather is way below recommended cold tolerance I will be growing indoors over the foldest parts of year and on germination mat as itll keep the ambient temps and roots warmer. Ive read if kept above 60°to 80°f it will remain semi dormant and if above 80°f won't go dormant at all possibly. Long as let go dormant once while it'll remain healthy or so I've read . I've seen people claim they have over sintered once dormant inside refrigerators where its kept above freezing but below 40f° which is basically where mine is set for seeds in cold stratification. So alot variables but also possibilities (maybe ) still alot to learn ofc . And maybe I'm misinformed so not saying what I've read or been told elsewhere is correct hence hoping many more people might respond 🤔 tbh several views but only 2 responded so wondering if I'm over typing or not being clear enough or maybe I'm hyper for responses and being off-putting idk . Hoping figure out and learn more
I think you have to be patient for replies, it can sometimes take weeks for some of the more experienced guys to reply and sometimes its 5mins after the post.
Also...purely my opinion here...you hint at "bonsai soil mix" in your post heading, most of the experienced guys don't touch soil mix threads with a 10 foot pole, as they are worried it devolve into a soil wars thread

I think you have to be patient for replies, it can sometimes take weeks for some of the more experienced guys to reply and sometimes its 5mins after the post.
Also...purely my opinion here...you hint at "bonsai soil mix" in your post heading, most of the experienced guys don't touch soil mix threads with a 10 foot pole, as they are worried it devolve into a soil wars thread
Thanks idk about the soil mix comment stuff . Wish were able adjust title know I know. Yea I posted in both fruiting and soil forum as wasnt sure if I'd hear back from the care side or soil side but makes alot sense if that is why. Ans ofc don't expect insta responses just got down if seen 60 views no responses guess used to other forums where people glood respond but asked here becsuse those who answer seem to knowledgeable where other places just answer to talk and half time no info learned . I indeed need to be patient one my bad flaws . Working on that for 2024

Asking for opinions on soil is like asking which type of dog is best. People have their favorites, and they rarely agree.

For example, I use 100% akadama on my deciduous, and 2:1:1 for everything else, which works well for me. My teacher uses a 70% lava mix for every single tree, which he swears by, and in fact foes work well for him.

The best thing is to find someone local to you who has a proven soil formula that works in your area.

Asking for opinions on soil is like asking which type of dog is best. People have their favorites, and they rarely agree.

For example, I use 100% akadama on my deciduous, and 2:1:1 for everything else, which works well for me. My teacher uses a 70% lava mix for every single tree, which he swears by, and in fact foes work well for him.

The best thing is to find someone local to you who has a proven soil formula that works in your area.
Thing is itll be in a pot and later bonsai'd so local soil really isn't going help as it would for soil recommendations in the ground and no one local grows pomegranates . But ty none less

Thing is itll be in a pot and later bonsai'd so local soil really isn't going help as it would for soil recommendations in the ground and no one local grows pomegranates . But ty none less

Thats not what I meant, but okay.

Poms are not picky about soil. Heck I have seen them growing on the side of the road in both Phoenix and Tucson so they are WAY tougher than given credit for. That said, if you are looking to put on size, they like some room to run for the roots. That’s likely more important than the actual soil. Just don’t leave it soggy and you are golden.

Poms are not picky about soil. Heck I have seen them growing on the side of the road in both Phoenix and Tucson so they are WAY tougher than given credit for. That said, if you are looking to put on size, they like some room to run for the roots. That’s likely more important than the actual soil. Just don’t leave it soggy and you are golden.
Awesome I'll let it dry out bit more between waterings then thanks . So far it's doing great

Back
Top Bottom