Amur Maple (Aaron), Progression Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the Fall of 2021, I bought this Amur Maple from a local nursery. For the size of the stock Amurs are pretty cheap here. I just burried in the ground and than reduced the roots and stuck in a large pond basket and planted it in a grow bed. Once the leaves hardened off, I air layered it (which was a great success): You can also see the original tree here:

I got it out of the pond basket and did it's first root prune and WOW, what a mess! In hind sight, I should have done the root work last spring but I hadn't worked with the species and sided on staying conservative. I've been told about their vigorousness but had to witness it for myself. It was littered with thick roots and I had to reduce the root ball massively. This species is also known for unpredictable die back, but I was lucky with air layer stub, as it did die back a bit into the trunk, but I don't think it's going to be an issue. I wish I took a picture of the root ball, but I was so busy with it, that I never did. If it was another species, I wouldn't have cut the other trunk after such invasive root work but, after seeing how robust the species is, I'm hoping it will be fine. However, in hindsight, I wish I cut the stubs higher, I forgot about the dieback issue.

The trunk is still a lot more straight than I would like but it is what it is.

Attachments

• _DSF6819.JPG
    _DSF6819.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 119
  • _DSF6820.JPG
    _DSF6820.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 128
  • _DSF6821.JPG
    _DSF6821.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 128
Did the trunk chop today and also cleaned up the trunk chop from earlier in the season (I didn't have any carving tools than).

Used @leatherback 's youtube video as a reference. Thanks jelly! Can you offer any constructive criticism on my work?

I sealed it with Vaseline, as per Harry Harringtons method.

As can be seen, the tree is dead along the front, If it never heals over there, I'll look at carving it out, but I'll give it many years still planted in the ground, to see.

_DSF7190.jpg_DSF7193_01.jpg_DSF7197_01.jpg

I did some aggressive root work, it dropped the new leader. So now it just a stump, not sure where I'm going to take it from here. I'll let it gain some vigor for a few years.IMG_20240507_082035.jpg

I did some aggressive root work, it dropped the new leader. So now it just a stump, not sure where I'm going to take it from here. I'll let it gain some vigor for a few years.View attachment 545037
Sorry about the leader loss. I've read conflicting things about dieback, do you think it was dieback from the hard chops or the stress from the root work?

No idea, I'm not a fan of the species due to it's unpredictability.
Makes sense, I've read about that so I'm a bit worried when it comes time to do some work on my in-ground Amur. Best of luck with yours!

No idea, I'm not a fan of the species due to it's unpredictability.
Does the leader loss have anything to do with how much die back there is when pruning? I always hear with maples to cut things long knowing there will be die back. Just wondering myself as I have an Amur just letting it grow right now so no pruning yet but nice to know what to expect

Does the leader loss have anything to do with how much die back there is when pruning? I always hear with maples to cut things long knowing there will be die back. Just wondering myself as I have an Amur just letting it grow right now so no pruning yet but nice to know what to expect
Not sure, the leader was healthy and strong last year. I think I should have waited another year before working the roots again, it appeared to be strong and healthy so I worked them.

Not sure, the leader was healthy and strong last year. I think I should have waited another year before working the roots again, it appeared to be strong and healthy so I worked them.
Yeah definitely a learning curve

Back
Top Bottom