American Beech Air Layer

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I set an air layer on this American beech earlier in the year and am trying to decide if I should remove it or give it another season. I definitely have roots and would not hesitate with a faster growing species, but I don't have a lot of experience with beech. What do you all think?

It has already set buds for next year and I probably have 2 months (maybe 3) before first frost here in the Atlanta area.

1000003086.jpg
1000003087.jpg
1000003088.jpg

I don't have much guidance to offer you but I know that Andrew Robson was estimating two years for ground layering some European beech cultivars grown for the landscape 🤷‍♂️

I am also not experienced with airlayering beech but had done a lot of airlayers on other species. I would say you do not have even close to enough roots to support that tree yet. Leave the airlayer over winter and it will grow a bunch more roots in the spring...look at removing it again in late spring or early summer next season.

Given how finicky beech can be, I would leave for another year. It's pretty cool that you got it to this point in one year, I'd leave it to grow more roots during the fall root growing season, when roots generally put on a lot of growth. At least you have no worries about freezing winters where you are right? If you do have freezes there, you might want to seperate before then.

Personally, I would remove the plastic bag very carefully and examine where you have roots coming off the trunk. You do have roots, but I'd want that bag to be quite packed before removing the layer. I'd carefully comb out the top area to see if the roots are coming off the trunk 360 degrees or if there are large gaps in where the roots come off the trunk. At this time you can add more rooting hormone to areas without roots, or re cut callus tissue to encourage more radial roots for the future.

Thanks, everyone! I had been leaning towards waiting considering the slow growth of Beech, but thought I might be over thinking it. I'll leave this one be for next year. Typical winters here have overnight temps in the mid 20s to 40s with rare drops into the teens. I can always move this one to the unheated garage if we get anything too cold.

Back
Top Bottom